Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Hi! My Name is Kris - Part 3


"What, whhaat was that?" I asked. I was really scared.

"Oh just the wind" Wendy said with doubt and nervousness.

And it was quite clear she didn't mean it, I mean there was no wind anywhere and even though it was only nine o'clock (according to my watch) it was as dry as a bone.

"Okay. Let me tell you the story of this house." Wendy finally got out. "Then we'll go to my house to get a flashlight, so we can explore."

"OK." I said trying to calm down.

And she began.


"Once long ago this old house was a mansion." Wendy started. "There was an old woman who really wasn't old who lived here. She was friends with an old witch. One day she was found dead, nothing was wrong with her the doctors said. She was buried and that was that, though some people say the witch took her soul." Wendy finished.

"Now let's go get the flashlight." Wendy said and before I could answer, she ran in the direction of her house, and I could only follow.

At Wendy's house Mrs. Hollows greeted us. "Oh you must be one of Wendy's friends." Mrs. Hollows said "What's your name dear?"

"Kris Stevans" I answered politely.

"Nice to meet you" Wendy's Mom said, and started putting cookies in the oven.

In Wendy's room it was trashed. It was so messy this book would be filled with how it was messed up if I wrote about it.

Wendy weaved her way to her drawer, opened it, took out a sweatshirt, dropped it on the floor and pulled out her flashlight. She dropped the flashlight on her bed and opened the closet. And I swear I thought there would be an avalanche.

She pulled out a hard hat with a flashlight on it, like a miner's. "Which one" Wendy asked and held out both items.

Before I could answer a radio blasted out music. I jumped.

Wendy smiled "Just my 16 year old sister Jana, I'm used to it" Wendy explained.

I chose the flashlight and we left.


Outside Wendy and I started to talk. "So how come you moved here?" Wendy asked.

Oh no I thought, I was hoping she wouldn't ask that. "Well, my parents just got divorced and they both agreed to move. Dad lives in California. And Mom, Rob my brother, and I live here."

Wendy was quiet. We walked in silence. I watched two adults buy ice cream from the ice cream truck and I could feel tears well up in my eyes.

Wendy grabbed my hand and we ran all the way to that old house.

The door was still open when we got there. Wendy strapped on her hard hat and flicked on a switch, sending a beam barely seen on the sidewalk from her hat.

Once more she grabbed my hand and with that we entered the barely open door to the old house.

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment