Thursday, January 5, 2017

Hi! My Name is Kris - Part 2


The next morning I could smell bacon. I quickly pulled on shorts, a Tee-shirt, my running shoes, tied my long brown hair in a pony tail and ran down the stairs two at a time. Rob was already sitting at the kitchen table when I got down there stuffing his face with bacon and pancakes.

I opened the refrigerator and poured myself some orange juice and sipped it while Mom served my breakfast.

"So you guys" Mom started "I was thinking we could drive out to the beach tomorrow if the weather is nice, this is summer you know. Kris what are you planning to do today? Rob heard about the Paul Bunyan statue in Bangor on T.V. this morning so I'm going to take him to see it."

"Well" I said. "I thought I might take Chopsticks for a walk around the neighborhood." (Chopsticks is my little white dog with brown ears and a black patch around his left eye. My best friend from New Jersey gave him to me when she visited Japan.)

Mom nodded, looked at the newspaper and started reading it.

I finished my breakfast and I rinsed my dish, cup and fastened Chopsticks' leash to his collar.

When I got outside I walked two blocks then I came to a house that was huge and looked very old. The paint was peeling and the whole thing was falling apart. It gave me the creeps.

"Scary, Huh?" a voice said.

I whirled around and there stood a girl with bug bites on her legs, tons of freckles and short (I mean short) red hair.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, my name is Wendy Hollows. What's yours?" The girl said with interest.

"Kris, Kris Stevans" I stammered.

"Nice dog, what's his name?" Wendy said.

"Thanks, it's Chopsticks" I returned.

And then while we were talking the door to that huge old house, which had been tightly shut, creaked open a few inches then stopped.

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment