Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Welcome...


...to my experiment. In blog-form. Here’s a bit of back story. Riley and I were lucky enough to have his father and sister visit us in July. His dad and sister were sitting at our living room table. Looking through pictures on the computer, if I remember correctly. I walked in from another room and happened to catch one of them say the phrase “shadow of a coffee cup.” I have no idea what they were talking about, but this combination of words struck me. Shadow of a Coffee Cup. Wistful, an everyday object that catches the light in a certain way one morning and reminds you of something from the past.

This leads into my purpose for starting a blog. A place to explore overheard and stumbled upon scraps of inspiration – a one-sided conversation from the street, a news story, a magazine ad – with the potential for further creative development. Growing up, I had many notebooks dedicated to stories (even as a kid, I don’t think I ever actually “finished” anything), and now as a “grown-up” with a full-time job, there are too many easy excuses for pushing my writing off until tomorrow. I’m hoping a blog will keep the creative juices flowing, get me back into the habit of writing more regularly, and allow for a healthy dose of shameless self-promotion. Not to mention that my old notebooks and school papers are collecting dust, and it might be fun to drag some of those blasts from the past into daylight.

So, welcome to the inner workings of my weird little mind. Fancy meeting you here!

2 comments:

  1. Fiona, I'm hoping to read more about Bernie sometime! We miss you! Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jude! Miss all you Boulder writers, too! I haven't written much more about Bernie since moving to Maine. I'll have to check and make sure he's doing OK :) What are you working on these days?

    ReplyDelete